Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Creamy Shrimp Pasta

I really didn't think I was going to do a blog post today. I've been so busy with an even busier toddler (who only took a 1.5 hour nap today), there wasn't anything exciting to write about, and it's just been a tough day(more on that later). Then, I started making dinner. I was tired of the regulars on my menu rotation and wasn't in the mood for some crock-pot chicken or beef dish so I decided I would do something with the shrimp in the freezer. I put together a creamy, rich pasta dish using things I already had on-hand and it turned out amazing! The best part...it was whipped up in a matter of minutes. It's going on the menu rotation, for sure!!



Creamy Shrimp Pasta

Ingredients:
appr. 1 lb raw shrimp (I use frozen raw peeled and deveined shrimp and they are just as good as fresh!)
1 stick butter
1-2 tsp minced garlic
appr. 1/3 block softened cream cheese(I just had this amount leftover in the fridge and it was perfect)
5-6oz spaghetti, fettucine, linguine noodles (whatever you like)
1-2 tbsp Parsley(I used dried herbs but will try it with fresh next time)
1-2 tbsp Basil
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
S&P to taste
1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 can diced tomatoes (you could use the whole can, I just wanted the shrimp to be the star)
1/2 pasta water
Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions:

Get pasta going according to box. This takes forever and the shrimp/sauce takes 10 minutes or less so start it first off.
Melt butter in skillet on medium-medium high.
Make sure you've thawed your shrimp if they were frozen(takes no time at all in a bowl of water), and dry them really well. I just let mine sit on a paper towel-lined plate, topped with more paper towels.
Sprinkle shrimp with herbs, seasoned salt, and a little S&P. 


Drop shrimp in melted butter.


Let shrimp cook a couple minutes, then add garlic. Get ready for your kitchen to start smelling heavenly!


Cook shrimp a few minutes per side. It doesn't take long at all, and it will continue cooking once the other ingredients are added.

Add the lemon juice, and you could totally stop here if you wanted to and serve it over pasta this way.


Next, add in your diced tomatoes. You could use regular diced, petite diced, whatever. I liked this size because they were the same size as the shrimp. You could also add peas, mushrooms, red peppers, etc. It's very versatile.


I let the tomatoes and shrimp do their thing for just a couple minutes, then added the cream cheese, a little dollop at a time. 


It only takes a couple more minutes for it all to melt together into this creamy, rich deliciousness.


Toss your pasta in the pan, and add in about 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss really well, and top with more herbs and some Parmesan cheese if you wish.


Y'all, this is a winner right here. I could seriously eat the entire thing, but I'd immediately regret that. It is SO easy and quick, and very versatile. You could add in all kinds of veggies, and even use chicken or no protein at all.

I hope you love it if you get a chance to try it.



Also, I ask that you keep the family of Joey Harkness in your prayers. He was a dear friend from high school and he passed away today from complications from a brain tumor and MS. His illness came on very suddenly and rapidly and it's very hard to understand why a precious soul such as his was taken. He was truly a bright light in a dark world and was loved by everyone who knew him. All I can see is that beautiful smile and spirit he always had about him. He was one of the best!
Just please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers during the coming days, weeks, and months. Thanks, guys.


7 comments:

  1. Saw this on Kelly's link up. It looks so good. Adding it to my meals to try! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good it's bad!!! Hope you like it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many servings does this make? 5-6 oz pasta doesn't seem like much.
    thanks, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying it tonight with cherry tomatoes instead of canned. Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this recipe up on Pinterest and it sent me to ur blog with these step by step instructions...I have never seen my husband drooling so much over this meal! It was easy and divine! Just shared ur blog with my mom and sis! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this recipe on Pinterest and tried it out tonight. It was good, but a little bland. I think next time I will add fire roasted tomatoes and all of the cream cheese. Also, I think I'll add all the spices to the shrimp a few hours ahead, so the spices can become one with the shrimp :-) Thanks for posting this on your blog!! Can't wait to make it again with a few changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Lord....

    The picture caught my eye on pinterest, and I worked my way back to this original recipe. The number of ingredients made it look daunting (i'm more of a 5-ingredient meal type person). However, the SO and I are working on 'healthier eating' and since we both nearly drooled over the picture, I thought it was worth the 'extra' effort.

    I was amazed at how fast it came together. I thought you were joking when you said you could make it all while the pasta was cooking, but indeed; you were telling the truth! It did indeed smell heavenly when the garlic got added. Ready in the time it took for the pasta to cook. That's my kind of meal!

    Couple things I did different; I did use fresh herbs vs the dried. I also did not add the cream cheese-- I went to add it and found the SO did not properly wrap it last time, so it had molded. So alas, no creamy goodness. Perhaps because of that bit, I also found that I did not need to add the 1/2 cup of the pasta water. I had plenty of liquid for the sauce part of it. Adding the pasta water, for me, would have made it almost soupy. Again, the cream cheese would certainly have thickened it up.

    I made this while the SO was in the shower and he actually commented on how good it smelled as he was walking out. As we dug in, we both went 'mmmm' then looked at each other and smiled. We plan out our meals a month at a time and this might become a monthly staple!

    THanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!