Monday, March 02, 2015

5 Things I'd Eat Endlessly If Calories Didn't Count

Calories really are the devil, ya know? I mean, one should be able to enjoy a warm, gooey, fudgy brownie a la mode (because is there any other way than a la mode??) without worrying about it going straight to our thighs or our butt...or in my case, my gut. Ugh. 
We all have our favorite splurge treats or meals...the cakes, cookies, a cheeseburger maybe? Or some good ol' Southern comfort food? Yes, yes, yeeeessss, and, um....duh!!

Unfortunately, we have to go and ruin those delicious dishes by putting all these little hidden minions called calories in them! Pssshhh.
I mean, on one hand, calories are great. They fuel our bodies and give us nourishment. Yada yada yada. But they also nourish that dang cellulite and those stubborn fat rolls. Thus, we must consume those treats, and their little minions we call calories, in moderation.

I allow myself a little "treat" meal or a tasty dessert once a week. I stay pretty disciplined with my "clean eating", consuming mostly lean proteins, veggies, fruits, and complex carbs, throughout the week so that one little treat won't completely undo all the progress I've made. I think it's important to allow yourself this weekly splurge, so that you are more likely to stick with your healthy eating through the week. Come Thursday, I start getting really excited and begin planning what my treat will be. Yesterday, I had Mexican (for the first time in MONTHS) for dinner...the hubby and I split some chicken fajitas. I opted out of the tortillas, but did have a few chips and a little cheese dip. I also had 2 Dunkin' Donuts Munchkins. Mmmm. And it did not wreck my diet at all. I also didn't feel gross afterward. Sometimes if you've gone an insanely long time without any "bad" food, your body will freak out and you will immediately regret your decision.
You know what I'm talkin' about.

But if you allow your body something heavier, or maybe a little greasier, than it's used to having, once a week, it'll handle it better than it would if you went a month or two or MORE without having anything like that.

I remember having a point when I started this post.
Ah, yes....

5 Things I'd Eat Endlessly If Calories Weren't The Devil
(because 5 seemed like a nice round number)

1. Chicken 'n dressing with mashed potatoes
OK, I lump these two together and that may be cheating but I don't even care. For me, this is my ultimate "Southern" comfort food meal. I could literally eat it every single day and not tire of it. I celebrate Thanksgiving from about mid-September until the New Year. Gimme all the chicken 'n dressing. All of it. 
Aaaanndddd, I think I just decided what my "treat" meal will be next weekend.


2. Birthday cake
Straight up, plain white cake with legit vanilla buttercream frosting.
Holy Toledo, my love for birthday cake runs deep. I get it from my momma. But, seriously. 
And if you could throw in a few Lay's potato chips with it, that'd be grreeaatt. 


3. Pasta
With marinara sauce, with a creamy alfredo sauce, with a cheesy sauce, with a lemon garlic sauce.....
I do not discriminate. I love all pasta, and all sauces. This, of course, includes mac & cheese.


4. Cheeseburgers
More specifically, bacon cheeseburgers. Because, I mean...

bacon cheeseburgers


5. Loaded cheese fries with ranch dressing
Can you ever have too much bacon? Or ranch dressing?
OK, arteries and cholesterol and all that other stuff aside.....no, you cannot! 
If you've never enjoyed a delicious plate of fries smothered in cheesy, bacon-y, salty goodness then you must get yourself in the car and, in the words of Will Smith, jump on it.

Fine establishments such as Outback Steakhouse serve them up right nicely. 
Baumhower's is my fave, though.


As you can see, I do enjoy the occasional sweet treat, but I'm a total salty girl. 
Gimme my salty and savory foods, with a small side of birthday cake. HA!

Of course, it's not advisable to eat like this on the regular, but man...think about how awesome it'd be if all these "bad" foods didn't come with all those naughty things....the fat, the grease, and the nasty calories. (not to mention they would raise our cholesterol numbers through the roof!!!)

Now that you've witnessed my inner fat girl....I ask you, if calories didn't count, what FIVE things could you eat over, and over, and over??


Happy Monday!! 
As much as I want that bacon cheeseburger for lunch....I'll go get started on my grilled chicken and broccoli. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!