Cake.....bread.....I don't care what you call it, it's DELICIOUS!!!
I was watching 12 Dates of Christmas the other night on ABCFamily(corny, but cute), and this lady made these cherry chip loaves for her neighbors. I decided this sounded good and I wanted to try it out for myself. I browsed a few recipes online and found a couple that were pretty close to what I wanted, so I adapted my own version from those. This is perfect for the holidays!
***OK, I should have split the batter between a couple pans, or used one of my bigger loaf pans. Instead, I filled it too much and wound up with this bulbous thing, but it still tastes fantastic and that's all that matters! ;-) It just had to bake for an eternity to cook through. Next time, I'll pour just the right amount in the pan. Lesson learned.
Anyhow...here's what you need...
Cherry Chip Loaf
- 2 sticks butter, softened (I used unsalted)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs (or the equivalent amount of egg beaters)
- 1-2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda(not pictured)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips (according to your chocolate preference)
1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and continue to mix.
2. Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda.
4. Add dry mixture into butter mixture, a little at a time, and mix until completely incorporated.
5. Fold in nuts, cherries, and chocolate chips. And add in extra if you feel so inclined.
6. Divide into 2 greased 9x5 loaf pans(or a few smaller ones), and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Test it by inserting a toothpick in the center.
It may come out a tad gooey looking in the middle, but will firm up as it cools, trust me.(it's cooked through, but the bananas, cherries, and eggs make it very moist) You can always take it down to just 1 egg if you'd like.
The hubby and I absolutely LOVE this and I won't tell you how much is already gone. :)
It was really good while it was still warm, but it's even better the next morning with coffee for breakfast!!
It has some of that great banana bread flavor, but the cherries and chocolate chips really make it special. And it's super moist. I really hate that word, don't you?
I hope you try it out and like it as much as we do!! You might even decide it makes a great last minute gift for friends, family, or coworkers. :)