Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

For many of us, today starts the family gatherings for Christmas. We are heading down to spend time with my family later this afternoon/evening. We've always done Christmas Eve with them and I love that tradition. We'll be going back down on Christmas to spend the day with Joseph's family. I'm excited that everyone will be there, including his sister and brother-in-law, who split the holidays between his family in PA. They were up there for Christmas last year, so we get them this year! 
It's very important to us that Hudson gets to sleep in his own bed and wake up in his own house on Christmas morning. That's why we'll just drive back and forth for 2 days. (it's only an hour)
I am so looking forward to Christmas with Hudson this year. Last year he was so young that he couldn't really enjoy the experience too much. I can't wait to see how he reacts to it this year.

If it were up to me, it'd be Christmas all year...ok, not really. I DO love it, though. Not the presents, but the precious time we get to spend with loved ones. Businesses are closed and everyone gets to focus on their families and friends. Sitting by the tree, sipping on some cider, watching your favorite Christmas movies. I soak it all in while I can, because it passes all too quickly each year.

This year, as excited as I am about spending Christmas with my family and friends, I am also brokenhearted for the families who will not have their loved ones with them this year. For the widows/widowers who lost the love of their lives, the children who lost parents, the ones who had to say goodbye to loving grandparents, the people who lost best friends, and the parents who buried their children just days before what was supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year. I can't quit thinking about how the families affected by the Sandy Hook shooting are feeling this Christmas. Just 10 days ago, they were getting prepared for the holidays by buying gifts, deciding what would go on their dinner menu, and how to coordinate travel plans....in a matter of minutes, their worlds were turned upside down and everything they thought mattered was no longer relevant. 

If we didn't realize it already, we have been reminded that life is all too precious and can be taken from us in an instant. We all owe it to the innocent children and teachers, who so unjustly lost their lives,(and their families) to cherish every moment we are given, be thankful for the people we have in our lives, and keep our priorities straight. Tell your family how much you love them, spend an extra few seconds on that hug, and don't worry about how late the time is on the clock. We can't get time back, and we can't undo things we wish we could. Act and speak with kindness and love. Put others first, and remember that those presents under the tree may be nice, but they're nothing compared to the relationships we have with the amazing people we are blessed to know.

I hope you all have the most wonderful Christmas! If you see a post from me tomorrow, it will be a short and sweet one that was completed and scheduled days ago.(I love being able to schedule posts, BTW!!) I'll be soaking in every second of the day with my precious boys and family.
I hope you do the same.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!