Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Vegetable Beef Soup

My friend Leslie got me craving some veggie beef soup yesterday with her post, so I decided to whip some up for dinner last night (and maybe tonight). 

It's been a while since I've made some homemade vegetable beef soup so I kind of just winged it and hoped for the best. I knew V8 juice was good in it so I used that as the base for the soup. But I also added some herbs and spices to bump it up a little bit. It turned out really good, hearty, and perfect for a Monday (or any other day!). If you wanted to keep it vegetarian or just a little healthier, you can just cut out the beef (and beef broth). And I just took pictures with my phone so they're not the same quality of my normal recipes. But we all know what veggie soup looks like. ;)


Vegetable Beef Soup 
*this recipe makes a LOT that can serve a crowd or easily be frozen for later. I'd cut it in half if you're not wanting to eat it for a week straight! HA!*

Ingredients:
- 1-1.5 lbs ground beef, browned and drained. I shook in about 1/2-1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano as the meat was browning.
- 2 cans cut green beans, drained
- 2 cans whole kernel corn. I left about 1/2 the liquid in them.
- appr 1/2 small bag baby carrots, cut into coins
- 1 large or 2 small Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2-3 tsp beef bouillon granules dissolved in 1 cup hot water per tsp. (or a few cups boxed beef broth. This helped balance out the beef flavor with the tomato flavor)
- appr. 1/3-1/2 of a 46oz V8 juice container. I used low-sodium. Zesty would probably be really good!
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- I also put in a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. This also helps to cut down on the acidic tomato flavor.
- salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Couldn't be easier! Just dump it all in and let it cook on low for 7-8 hours. The flavors come together and it tastes sooooooo good! You can make it easier by using canned potatoes and carrots but I decided it was worth the chopping for me to use fresh. Totally your call.


I served it with cornbread last night and we had leftovers tonight with peanut butter sandwiches. PB sandwich dipped in veggie soup is the BOMB!!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.

4 comments:

  1. I love anything made in a crock pot! This looks so easy, right up my alley! :)
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 74 and cook this soup all the time and eat it every day. Your cornbread looks fabulous...... I would to put the red potatoes into it,,,, even though they have carbs, but they also have good potassium as well. Sometimes, we old folks do tend to get colder due to poor circulation, and eat less, but more frequent meals. I love the meat and always brown it first. Sometimes, I have found small little chuck roast and use them too. I ate the soup without meat for a long time.... using beans as my protein substitute, but then became iron deficient... So there is nothing like the meat in this soup.... This soup also stays good for a long time for just one person. I would make a pot, keep it in the refrigerator, poor a bowl out to pop in the microwave and enjoy with crackers. Takes me all the way back to my mothers great home cooking and how cooking from scratch (especially the carrots) adds so much to this hearty soup. But, I do use canned vegetables because it is just much easier for me. Glad you pulled this up. Am shopping for meat tomorrow and making another pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best!

    light indian dinner recipes vegetarian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!