My friend Leslie got me craving some veggie beef soup yesterday with her post, so I decided to whip some up for dinner last night (and maybe tonight).
It's been a while since I've made some homemade vegetable beef soup so I kind of just winged it and hoped for the best. I knew V8 juice was good in it so I used that as the base for the soup. But I also added some herbs and spices to bump it up a little bit. It turned out really good, hearty, and perfect for a Monday (or any other day!). If you wanted to keep it vegetarian or just a little healthier, you can just cut out the beef (and beef broth). And I just took pictures with my phone so they're not the same quality of my normal recipes. But we all know what veggie soup looks like. ;)
Vegetable Beef Soup
*this recipe makes a LOT that can serve a crowd or easily be frozen for later. I'd cut it in half if you're not wanting to eat it for a week straight! HA!*
- 1-1.5 lbs ground beef, browned and drained. I shook in about 1/2-1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano as the meat was browning.
- 2 cans cut green beans, drained
- 2 cans whole kernel corn. I left about 1/2 the liquid in them.
- appr 1/2 small bag baby carrots, cut into coins
- 1 large or 2 small Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2-3 tsp beef bouillon granules dissolved in 1 cup hot water per tsp. (or a few cups boxed beef broth. This helped balance out the beef flavor with the tomato flavor)
- appr. 1/3-1/2 of a 46oz V8 juice container. I used low-sodium. Zesty would probably be really good!
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- I also put in a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. This also helps to cut down on the acidic tomato flavor.
- salt & pepper to taste
Couldn't be easier! Just dump it all in and let it cook on low for 7-8 hours. The flavors come together and it tastes sooooooo good! You can make it easier by using canned potatoes and carrots but I decided it was worth the chopping for me to use fresh. Totally your call.
I served it with cornbread last night and we had leftovers tonight with peanut butter sandwiches. PB sandwich dipped in veggie soup is the BOMB!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.