Sunday, February 24, 2013

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Tomato soup has always been one of my favorites. It truly does warm the soul and I'm pretty certain there's no problem a creamy bowl of this stuff can't fix. 
As a child, I'd pop open that good ol' can of Campbell's Condensed tomato soup and heat it up on the stove. That and grilled cheese sandwiches were a popular lunch back in the day. It wasn't until I was MUCH older that I discovered the way tomato soup is really supposed to be. Boy, was that life-changing!? 
If you think you don't like tomato soup because you've only ever tried it from a can, then I strongly urge you to try this recipe out. Or go to a restaurant and try a cup of theirs. Either way, try some real tomato basil soup and I can almost guarantee your opinion will change.

This recipe is super easy and is ready in about 30 minutes. Now, I love my slow cooker recipes as much as the next person, but when I find a good recipe that can be ready in no time and still tastes amazing, I can't pass that up!
I made this on a whim and wasn't expecting to blog it, so I just used my phone to take pics. They aren't the best quality but they do the job.


Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
*This recipe only makes about 4-5 servings. Double it if you want more for a crowd or to freeze.*

Ingredients:

1-2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 stick butter
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small tomato, seeded and diced. (I had this on-hand and used it. You don't have to.)
appr 1 cup chicken broth (use vegetable to keep it vegetarian)
1 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste (I used probably 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper)
5-6 basil leaves, chopped into thin strips
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (You can use bagged shredded and it'll still be great. Fresh always makes it better if you can get it, though.)

Directions:
In a large pot, melt butter and saute garlic on medium for a few minutes. Don't let it burn!
Add canned tomatoes, and juice, to pot, along with chicken broth. Add any fresh diced tomatoes you may have used as well.
Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

Pour in heavy cream and continue simmering a few minutes. 

Toss in basil and stir in well. Simmer a few minutes and taste for any salt/pepper needed.
 Blend up with an immersion blender to puree some of the soup. This will make it rich and creamy, thicken it up, and you can blend it up as little or as much as you like. I like some small chunks so I blended about 1/2-3/4 of it. Be very careful, because it's SO hot! 
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can ladel some of the soup into a blender and puree it up, then add it back in the pot. Just be careful with the hot soup.

Finally, I grated some fresh parmesan cheese into the pot...about 1/2 cup. Blend it all up well, taste for any seasonings needed, then serve it up!!

I garnished with a little more cheese, 'cause why not? And a little more fresh basil for color and flavor. Holy yumminess, Batman!!!! So good, so quick, so easy! 
If you're on the fence about tomato soup, I suggest you try this one. You won't be sorry!

Happy Sunday, friends!

P.S. The giveaway is over and a winner will be announced tonight or tomorrow, so be on the lookout! Thanks to everyone who participated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!