Thursday, June 07, 2012

Shrimp Tacos with Culantro (yes, culantro)-Lime Sauce

Right now, my house(which I should be cleaning) is beginning to smell glorious. In about 6 hours, we will be having a delicious dinner of crockpot pulled BBQ chicken sammiches.....yes, I said sammiches. If it tastes as good as it's smelling, we're in for a treat! I'll share the recipe tomorrow. You won't believe how easy it is! I might tackle some potato salad to go with them....we'll see how brave I get. Potato salad is NOT my forte, believe me. I've tried. Repeatedly. Can't get it right. I'd say we'll just have potato chips, but since I don't allow those in my house from fear that I'll eat the whole bag.......

Oh, so the title says something about shrimp tacos! I've been in a cooking rut lately, and have been relying on frozen pizza, quick pasta dishes, skillet meals, or just some cold cereal for dinner the last couple weeks. I was tired of that mess and decided I wanted a fresh, light dinner. Also had to be quick and easy, 'cause let's face it.....if it takes longer than 20 minutes to prep and get cookin', I ain't doin' it. Otherwise, I'd have a toddler pulling on my pants, demanding my attention, pulling absolutely everything he can out of the cabinets, and all other distractions you can think up. It just ain't worth it some days. But yesterday we went to the store to pick up a few things and I got some ingredients for these tacos that I found on Pinterest. I've pinned ALL of these wonderful recipes thinking, "I'm going to cook a delicious new dish EVERY night!" HA! Pssshhhhhh. Yea, right. BUT, I tackled these bad boys and was so pleased with them. They are quick, easy, (relatively) healthy, and tasty! Lemme repeat that....QUICK, EASY, HEALTHY, TASTY!! 

Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom......

Mmmm, there's nothing better than a light, fresh shrimp taco!! The original recipe can be found here, but I did a couple things different. Next time, I may do things a little more different still.

Shrimp Tacos w/ Culantro-Lime Sauce

Ingredients:

- 1 lb frozen shrimp defrosted, peeled & deveined (I used frozen raw, deveined shrimp and had to peel them the rest of the way. It was pretty quick and easy, though. You could use fresh, of course.)
- 6 oz fat free Greek yogurt, any brand you like
- 1/4 cup fresh (gotta be fresh for this!) chopped Culantro. **Now, culantro....for some reason my store didn't have Cilantro...may have been out or something because they've had it before. I got this instead because it has basically the same taste but says it keeps a little longer. I'll use the real thing next time, just to see the difference. It can be strong, so start with a little, taste, and add more if you like.**
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. Again, add a little and taste. Add more if you like it hot. I don't like things too spicy.
- Shredded lettuce - however much you'd like in your taco. Totally preference here.
- 5-7 tortillas, depending on how much you stuff yours. :-) (I used a low carb, high fiber whole wheat tortilla that has only 50, yes 50 calories per tortilla!!! Amazing, and they tasted good too!)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- S&P to taste

Directions:

Heat tortillas in dry skillet until warm and starting to form small brown spots. Set aside on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.

Mix yogurt, culantro(or cilantro), lime juice, cayenne, and a lil bit of salt in bowl. (adjust seasonings to taste)

Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in nonstick skillet.
  
Cut shrimp in half, or thirds if you got really big shrimp. Throw in skillet, season with s&p and a dash of cayenne, and cook over medium heat until cooked through. They cook up in a few minutes, so watch them closely!

Build your taco, adding a layer of sauce, lettuce, then shrimp. Enjoy!!


I hope you enjoy this like I did. Amounts of ingredients can be customized to your tastes. If you're not a Greek yogurt fan, try sour cream instead.


I'll have the recipe for the pulled BBQ chicken sammiches tomorrow, if I think it's worthy. Like I said earlier, though, if it tastes the way it smells, it's a winner!!! Y'all have a great Thursday!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!