Friday, July 06, 2012

Class of 2002

Last Saturday was my 10-year high school reunion!! Has it really been 10 years since high school? It seems like just yesterday I was spending my Summers at danceline practice in 100+ degree weather, studying really hard for tests, attending dances, proms, homecomings, basketball games, etc. 

I had a great high school experience, filled with wonderful friends. My class was especially close, since most of us had been in school together since kindergarten. And if we didn't, we managed to get close in just a few years together. One week before graduation, we were faced with a situation that was unimaginable. At our senior picnic, a day that should have been filled with silliness, acting like little kids one more time on the swings and slides at the park, reminiscing over our amazing time together, and lots of laughter, we, instead, had to deal with loss. An intense loss. As the wind picked up that afternoon, a branch was violently blown off of a tree, striking one of our dear classmates and friends in the head. Everything changed in that instant. For everyone. No matter how well you knew Kara, you were affected tremendously. Her zest for life, her warm smile and personality made her one of the most loved people in our class. Everything was done to help her, but she could not be saved. We rallied together, closer than ever, to say goodbye to our dear friend. It was the hardest week of most of our young lives. Dealing with losing a friend, while trying to enjoy the last week of school and all of its events. It was a very emotional time for us all. I remember crying a lot. For months, in fact. Graduation came and Kara's seat was left empty. We wore yellow ribbon on our gowns to honor her. Even though we all moved on, we have never forgotten her. Her smile, her sweet personality, her spirit. I think of her quite often to this day. 

At the Family Day portion of our reunion Saturday afternoon, our class went to visit her memorial at the park, and to put some fresh flowers on it. To be honest, it was the first time in all these years I've visited the memorial. I've wanted to COUNTLESS times, but just didn't want to deal with all of the emotions that I knew it would stir up. I'm glad I finally got to visit it.


Since then we have lost a few more classmates and friends. It's impossible to think, and I'd give anything to have them all back with us. I don't handle losing people well and it saddens me to think we may lose more before the next reunion. I pray we don't!!

OK, on to some happier times. That night, I met up with all of my old classmates at The Landmark in Gadsden. I mean this when I say it.....everybody looks SO good!! They all look the same! I was so glad to see everyone and catch up with all that's going on in their lives. I keep in touch with a lot of them, but it's still good to see them when I can too. And of course, great to see the ones I haven't seen in years!! :)

We had a pretty good turnout and I was so happy to see everyone!! You all look GREAT!




 I'm so glad I got to catch up with these girls! I go way back with these ladies and we're all so busy now that we don't see each other much. It was a much-needed night to hang out and reminisce. Love you girls!!



Can't wait for the next reunion! I mean, I CAN WAIT! I'm not rushing time, mmk?? In fact, it can slooooow down a little bit. 30 is too close for comfort. ;-)

Y'all have a wonderful weekend!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!