Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Nilla Wafer Sandwiches

Is that name long enough? I don't think so. Let's add more to it.....how 'bout...Chocolate Covered Crunchy Peanut Butter Stuffed Nilla Wafer Sandwiches. Phew! Thankfully, you don't really call them all that often...you eat 'em!

This little treat came about as a total experiment. Yesterday, I decided I wanted some chocolate covered PB Ritz cracker sandwiches. You know the ones I'm talking about. We see them a lot at the holidays. Just a simple PB/Ritz cracker sandwich, made absolutely decadent by dipping it in chocolate. Chocolate has a way about it...ya know....of taking things to the next level. It makes everything better.
If the shoe fits, add chocolate. If at first you don't succeed, add chocolate. When all else fails, add chocolate!

So, I went to the pantry with plans to grab the peanut butter, Ritz crackers, and chocolate chips.
I am typically a creamy peanut butter person. Always have been. I just don't like the peanuts cluttering up my peanut butter. I'm the same way about my orange juice. I don't like peanuts cluttering it up either, hahaha....the pulp either! ;-) As Joey says on Friends, "I don't like pulp. No pulp. Pulp isn't juice!"

I thought, Nilla Wafers instead of crackers. Why not? In a shocking move, I also chose the crunchy peanut butter for some texture. (my hubs' fave) The only chocolate I had was some leftover semi-sweet chocolate chips so I used that. I figured the bitter taste of the semi-sweet chips would balance out the really sweet, rich peanut butter, and the sweet Nilla Wafers. I was right.

 I simply spread a little PB on a wafer, topped with another wafer, then rolled 'em around in the melted chocolate. I put them on nonstick foil (I didn't have wax paper) and popped them in the fridge for a bit to set really well. They're better a little chilled to me, anyway.
*I melted it in the microwave and it came out great. I heat for about 30 seconds at a time, then stir, that way it doesn't burn.*

Like I said, this was an experiment, so I only did a few...partly because I was afraid they'd be terrible and I didn't want to ruin some perfectly good ingredients just to throw them away, and partly because I was afraid they'd be fantastic and I'd eat them all! ;-)
Well...they were pretty fantastic.
The hubs even liked them and he is strictly a milk chocolate fan. I'm going to make them again soon, but will use a better chocolate. Some kind of high quality chocolate since it's the star of the show here. Maybe a few with milk and a few with dark, to see which is best.

I am also determined to concoct these with Nutella in there somewhere. Nothing goes better with Nutella than a Nilla Wafer, FYI. Maybe Nutella, Nilla Wafer, and white chocolate? Almond bark? We'll see about that one. 

For now, these are pretty awesome. And I'm glad I'm out of chocolate right now 'cause they're also waaaay too easy to make....which is dangerous. ;)
I'm probably the last person on the planet to discover this concoction and it's nothing new, and if so..oops. BUT, if you haven't tried them this way, give 'em a try and let me know what you think! And if you find another combination of flavors that you like, I'd love to hear that too! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you via the giveaway on Helene's blog for her birthday. I love your blog, and those cookies? Erhmagherd, they look awesome.

    Happy Wednesday!

    xoxo,
    Gayle | Grace for Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Gayle! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. They turned out pretty delicious, and I can't wait to make more. ;-)

      Can't wait to hop over and check out your blog! Thanks for saying hi! :)

      Lauren

      Delete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!