Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rolling With It

I think Steve Winwood said (sang) it best....

"Roll with it."(I love Steve Winwood, BTW)
It sounds so easy, right? But sometimes rolling with it(ya know...life, the punches, etc.) is a lot easier said than done...especially if it's something that we may possibly have control over, or could have done differently if we had made another choice. I think it's safe to say that most of us have this idea or this picture of how things are supposed to go. We have a plan, and of course, if you have a well-thought-out plan it can't fail, right? HA! I can most assuredly testify that plans...even the most thought-out, detailed, prepared in advance plans...fail. Now, let me go ahead and say this: I am not saying any of this to complain about my life or how it's turned out. That's not what this post is about.
I consider myself immensely blessed to have the amazingly supportive family & friends I have, share my life with a hard-working man who also happens to be the love of my life and best friend, and be a mommy to the most wonderful little boy in the world (and let's not forget about his brother & sister growing healthily in my belly). I am a blessed woman and I realize that. Blessed beyond what I deserve. I appreciate all the hard times, curveballs, and obstacles that I've been presented with in the past. I'm a better, stronger person because of them.
That doesn't mean life hasn't thrown a few curves, some of which were harder than others to adjust to, and I've had to learn to just roll with it.
I think a lot of us get so wrapped up in what we think our lives should look like. I'm going to have this job, making x amount of money, marry a guy who fits this description, because I'm so sure he'll be perfect for me, go on dozens of exotic travels before we build our huge dream house and have 2.5 kids by the time I'm 30.(I've always assumed that .5 is a dog? I dunno.) Of course, some of those things are certainly attainable through hard work and dedication. And if you have a dream, you should definitely work hard to achieve it! What I've learned over the last few years (and am still trying to learn) is that we have to be willing to adjust our plans from the way we want them to be, to the way they're meant to be.


If you had asked me 6 years ago, just 6 months into our marriage, if I'd be forgoing my college degree in education to be a full time stay at home mom, I would've said there's no way. If you had told me that I'd have a 2 year old, with twins coming in just a few months, I would've called you cray cray. And if someone had said I'd be packing to move into our 5th house (including our first apartment) in 6.5 years, I would've told them they must have the wrong person. I'm not the moving from house to house type. Yeah...so much for that. Luckily, it's not the house that makes the home.
It's the people with whom you share the house. And as long as you have them, you can handle any changes that may come.

As I'm preparing to move into our new house(the 5th one), 6 months pregnant, I keep reminding myself of this. I know that a house is just a house, and it doesn't matter where life may take us, as long as we've got each other life is pretty darn good.


Any kinks or changes in my plans have led me to where I am today. 
And I think I'm at a pretty awesome spot, and I wouldn't trade it for anything or any place in this world. The sooner we learn to "roll with it", the sooner we can begin to live our lives the way they were meant to be lived. Whatever hand we're dealt, we must remember to play it wisely...with grace...with a positive attitude...and with faith. And it's something I know I'm still working on, daily.

3 comments:

  1. I so needed to hear this today :) Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God sent me to your blog a few months ago so that I could see this post today!!! I really needed this, today especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I often struggle with discouragement over circumstances in my life. Sometimes life can be difficult, but I agree that the sooner we learn to accept our circumstances, the sooner we can enjoy life and appreciate how the difficult times have shaped us. I am also truly blessed and it helps to remember that! Thanks again for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!