Wednesday, November 19, 2014

{As Good As Dessert} Sweet Potato Casserole

I didn't always like sweet potato casserole. I'm not quite sure why, and I really don't have a clue what was wrong with me back then, but boy, am I glad I eventually saw the light?!?!
I went from not liking the stuff, to basically appointing myself as the resident sweet potato casserole maker for holidays and gatherings. It's easy, yummy, you can make it the day before, then pop it in the oven, and I just always volunteer to make it.

I've told y'all before, I'm not the best about measuring accurately(unless I'm baking a cake or something) and I adjust to my own taste. These measurements are probably pretty accurate, but it's always better to add a little at a time, until you get the flavor you want.

Not my best picture, but you get the idea.

{As Good As Dessert} Sweet Potato Casserole
Ingredients
4-5 sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed
1 stick butter (softened)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup eggbeaters)

Topping:
1-1 1/2 cup brown sugar (I use light brown)
3/4-1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, mash potatoes well and add in softened butter. Heat from potatoes will melt butter. Stir until well combined.
2. Add in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir well. Check for taste. I love the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg. They give the potatoes a little something special and make them just a little more decadent.
*Make sure you do this and get it the way you want it before you add in eggs. I add in eggs last so I can make sure the flavor is right.*
3. After you've added in eggs and mixed well, pour potato mixture into 13x9 casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Now, with all the butter you can probably get away without spraying it, but go ahead and do it, just to be safe. 
4. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients until well incorporated. Spoon mixture on top of potatoes and spread all over. Sprinkle more pecans on top if desired.
5. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until light brown and bubbly.

*If you make it the day before (which I do quite often), let it sit out at room temp for an hour or so. Not too long since it does have eggs in it, but this will keep it from cooking unevenly and taking an insane amount of time to heat up in the middle if it goes in straight from the cold fridge.

Serve with your Thanksgiving turkey, ham, and other side dishes, or just eat yourself a big ol' serving of it alone for a tasty treat, since it's practically dessert...at 9pm.....in your PJs. I won't judge.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Potato Casserole has always been my favorite dish. Sometimes I go back for seconds and let it be my dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you! I hated anything sweet potato until maybe a few years ago? Now....I can't get enough! Thanks for sharing this recipe, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!