Thursday, November 13, 2014

'Tis The Season?

I'm currently sitting here, eating some popcorn as a late lunch (corn...it's a vegetable, right?), typing this post while the 3 littles nap. 

Let's just take a moment to give props to nap time. Yes...and amen.

This week has been a doozy. Nothing major, but as you can imagine, being home with 3 kids can be just a tad exhausting. That alone leaves me frazzled most weeks, but this week Raegan has been really fussy (which isn't like her at all) and hasn't felt her best. I believe growth spurts and teething have been the 2 biggest culprits. A certain big brother agitating her hasn't helped either. ;)

So, instead of doing dishes or laundry, or prepping dinner or cleaning the house, I am enjoying this nap time by stuffing my face with some butter popcorn (butter....dairy, healthy), a piece or two of chocolate, and painting the nails on the hand I didn't get around to painting last night. I thought about starting a new trend of having each hand painted a different color, but I thought "nah, people ain't ready for that."
Maybe over in Europe.

I also have Christmas With the Kranks playing in the background. If you've never seen that movie, get on it! So cute! It has Tim Allen in it, so you know it's good. 
I have it (along with about 8 other Christmas movies) saved on my DVR from the last couple years.

See, I'm normally one of those people...ya know, those people who post things on Facebook like "It's October 25th, is it too early to put up my Christmas tree if I put Halloween things on it?" or "It's November 1st, is it too early to decorate for Christmas?" or maybe there's a caption under a picture of a completely decorated tree and mantel that reads "I know it's only November 8th, but I couldn't wait any longer." Know anyone who fits that description?
Now, I'm not knockin' 'cause like I said, I'm usually that person. But this year, I'm not quite sure what it is. I haven't gotten there yet. And I know some of you are thinking "And you shouldn't be, it's only November 13th." And you'd be right.
It seems like the last 3 or 4 months have flown by and it was just July 4th and now here we are and it's 2 weeks from Thanksgiving. I know "time flies when you're having fun", and it flies even faster once you have kids, but I just don't understand how the middle of November got here so fast, outta nowhere!

It could have something to do with the fact that as a SAHM, the days and weeks creep by for me. Most days I rely on my phone to tell me what day of the week it is.
I think I'm also dreading trying to keep the kids out of everything once it's all up, so maybe that's why I'm not as amped up as I normally am.

Last year, I knew we were going to be hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas since we had 2 newborns, so I started my decorating around this time, 'cause I knew it'd take me a while. I like to have the house decorated for Thanksgiving. Who says you can't be Thankful and Merry at the same time? 
You're not forgetting about Thanksgiving...you're siting there eating turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie with your friends and family, aren't you??! You can celebrate and recognize Thanksgiving whilst basking in the beauty of your Christmas tree.
Everyone eats so much that they have to have special Thanksgiving pants, right?

Plus, it sure is a lotta work for just 3 weeks or so of enjoyment. I will say, I don't do the outside until at least the week of Thanksgiving, usually after. Our neighbors are now sporting their outside Christmas lights. So...yeah.....

Please tell me I'm not the only who feels like the holidays just came out of nowhere!! 
I've got to get in that mindset. They are upon us. The weather sure confirms that. Brrrr!
I do know I need to start in the next couple weeks, because who knows how long it will take to finish. I have to get in a little decorating here and there, whenever the kids are asleep, playing, etc.
Maybe I'll bake a batch or two of cherry chip loaf and that'll help put me in the spirit. 
Nom nom nom.

When do you plan on decorating this year? Are you usually a traditionalist who holds out until after Thanksgiving, or are you one who is always busting at the seams to get the house all decked out?

I say, to each his own. Do whatever makes you happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!