Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bacon & Mushroom Pasta

Have you seen those commercials for the new Philadelphia Cooking Creme? I saw one and was like, what could I use that for? I was a little skeptical of this fancy "creme". Well, during my coupon hunt for my Publix run this past week, I found a coupon for $1.50 off a tub of the cooking creme. I decided I'd try it out. I went to their website to search for some recipe ideas and found this pasta dish. Originally, it called for bacon, mushrooms, and spring onions. Well, since my husband won't touch an onion of any kind (unless it's deep fried as an onion ring), I decided to change it up a bit. Here's my version.

Bacon & Mushroom Pasta w/ Peas & Tomatoes

Ingredients:
(Y'all know I don't measure, so use these measurements with caution! HA! Just use however much you like of each)
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 4-5 slices bacon, diced (TIP: If you put the bacon in the freezer for just a few minutes, it is SO much easier to cut!)
  • 1-1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (any kind..I used regular white mushrooms)
  • 1/2-ish tsp minced garlic (the pre-minced kind in the jar is great!)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained well
  • 1-1 1/2 cup green peas (frozen peas work great)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I use the tub of DiGiorno that can be found with the "nice" cheeses)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 tub Original Philadelphia Cooking Creme (there are a few flavors)
  • Appr. 1/2 box short cut pasta (penne, rigatoni, etc.)
  • S&P to taste

Directions:
  1. Start the pasta according to directions on box.
  2. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Saute bacon and mushrooms until bacon is browned and mushrooms are softened. Add garlic for last couple of minutes. You don't want it to burn!
  3. Add peas and tomatoes and saute until heated.
  4. Add cooking creme and stir until smooth. (I actually added another spoonful after I took this pic...I also got a little happy with the peas!)Add cheese and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Toss with pasta until mixed well and heat for 2-3 more minutes or until heated through.
  6. Check flavor and add S&P as desired. You probably won't need any or much salt. I added a couple of shakes of Parsley too. Serve immediately.
The great thing about this dish is that you can really use whatever you like in it. Next time, I may try spinach or ham instead of the bacon and peas, although I really like it this way too! The bacon adds a smokiness to the dish that works really well. Sun-dried tomatoes would add a different flavor than the diced tomatoes, and I think I'll try those next time. I was very pleased with how it turned out and it was really easy. I will definitely be trying more recipes with the cooking creme. I hope you like this dish if you decide to try it too!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!