Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas!

I have been busily preparing for Christmas today! We do Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with Joseph's family. It works out very well. Usually we drive to Gadsden and back on Christmas Eve, then go back to Gadsden the next day and come back that evening. We don't stay the night because we have two dogs and we don't want to board them or leave them outside all night, and we also can't bring them with us. This year, we're doing Christmas Day at OUR house! It's our first time to host Christmas! We're excited....it's a little intimidating, but it's not like we haven't hosted family gatherings at our house before. But Christmas is BIG! I'm thankful that everyone is able to come to us and I know we'll have a great time together. I love to host and entertain so I'm really excited! So, today I made tons of "Snuggles"...the pretzel treats I talked about in my last post, and started getting the house all set up and ready for Saturday.

I also did a "test-run" of the potato soup I'm making for my grandparents. They are basically shut-ins and really love good, home-cooked meals. My parents take them meals a lot and they love potato soup but haven't had it in a while, so I'm making them a big bowl of it, along with some oyster crackers. YUM! It's funny how a soup can bring back so many memories, but this one sure does. My grandmother is the reason I know how to make potato soup. I would make it with her all the time growing up. As I was making it today, I couldn't help but think about all of those memories I made with her in the kitchen. I learned everything I know about cooking from my grandmothers and my mom. The reason these memories are so special to me now is because my grandmother has Alzheimer's and it is advancing very quickly. She hasn't called anyone by name in at least 2 years, maybe more. Her condition is very bad and my grandfather, who can barely see and has health problems of his own, takes care of her the best he can. It won't be long before they have to move somewhere, but until then, he is determined to do the best job he can. It's heartbreaking to see her go through this disease, but I hold on to the memories I made with her throughout the years the best I can.

I'm going to make their batch of soup tomorrow morning, now that I know the flavor turned out right. ;-) Saturday we're having a spread of delicious food. I'm cooking a standing rib roast (for the first time! Eeek!). We're also going to have ham, and I'm making scalloped potatoes, green beans, salad, and some other fixins' (that's Southern talk for sides!!). I'll do a post dedicated to the Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures and recipes to share too! ;) I'm excited to really use my new camera for the first time (on things other than my dogs and things around the house!).

I hope you and yours have a wonderfully Merry Christmas and I can't wait to read about your different traditions/plans!




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you are calling them "Snuggles".

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I think you invented a new word for a very tasty treat!! Everyone LOVED them this weekend!!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!