Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Potatoes Au Gratin...Scalloped Potatoes...Either Way, They Taste Good!

For Christmas dinner, I made a side dish of scalloped potatoes....or potatoes au gratin....whatever, it was some kind of cheesy potato dish. I was determined to figure out what type of dish this actually is, so I did what any other normal person does.....I googled it! Turns out that scalloped potatoes are typically a cream based dish, while potatoes au gratin are typically baked with cheese. Well, there you have it! I made potatoes au gratin!! The million dollar question has been answered. HA! Anyway, here's how I made the "Potatoes Au Gratin." This recipe makes about 12 servings, so you could half it if you need less.

Ingredients:
8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream(I think I ended up using a tad bit more to make it creamier)
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese on top

Directions:
In a large pot, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain. Mix together (1 cup) cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, salt & pepper.

Mix into potatoes. Transfer to a greased baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.


This would be good with chopped bacon or ham if you wanted to make it a little more decadent....and it would add a little color, as would chives! :-) I added a little more cheese in the potatoes, as well as on top of the potatoes..mostly per my husband's request. It turned out really good and cheesy!
This dish was super easy to make and tasted pretty good too. I will definitely be making it again!!

I hope everyone is having a good week. We're excited about New Years weekend! Usually we sit at home, but this year we are going up to Nashville to see our good friends Chad & Erica, and their sweet little girl Addison. They are expecting their second child in July and I'm so excited for them! We haven't seen them in a really long time and I can't wait to catch up. We always have a great time together.
What are your plans for New Years?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!