Monday, December 27, 2010

Potato Soup

I mentioned a few days ago that I'd post the recipe for the potato soup that I made for my grandparents. Now, this potato soup is just your good, old-fashioned potato soup....no frills....no bacon, no cheese, nothing. This is how my grandmother taught me to make potato soup. I usually don't use a recipe, but I referenced to one just to better judge measurements of ingredients, since I was making it for someone besides myself. I wanted it to be perfect! Well, I'm sure it's far from perfect, but ya know what I mean! :-)

Here's kind of how it went:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion (I omitted this when I made a small batch for Joseph and me....he doesn't eat onions, so I added 3 or 4 shakes of some onion powder for the flavor)
1-2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups cubed potatoes
1 can chicken broth
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Approx. 2 1/2 cups water
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Approx. 1-2 Tbsp. chives

Directions:
In large pot, saute celery and onions in oil for 2-3 minutes, until almost tender. Add potatoes, broth, water, butter, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until potatoes are fork-tender. In small bowl, combine flour with 1/2 cup milk. Whisk until smooth. Add to soup mixture. Add remaining milk and chives. Let the soup continue to cook on medium-low for approx. 20 minutes. It tastes better the longer it cooks. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. This soup is great with oyster crackers!


This was from the batch I made for Joseph and me. It's a little soupy...I skimped on the potatoes!
Enjoy!! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!