Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bedroom Wall Collage

OK, I know I said I was going to share some cute photos of Hudson outside yesterday but they can wait until tomorrow. I finally got the wall collage in our bedroom done this afternoon and just had to share it. I kind of put it to the back-burner to get a few things done in the playroom (which was more important) so I picked the project back up and got it finished a few hours ago. I'm very pleased with how it looks. And if I'd known how easy and fast it was going to be, I would have knocked it out weeks ago. The whole collage thing scared me a little bit, because I can barely hang a single picture level and evenly spaced. ;) BUT, thanks to Pinterest I found this little tutorial on how to hang a wall collage. I've seen a few other tutorials but this one looked the easiest for me. I didn't do it exactly the way she did, but I used the same idea.

First, I laid it all out on the floor and decided how I wanted it to go. This took longer than actually hanging the thing!


After I had it the way I wanted, I used a sheet of copy paper for each frame, tracing the frame and cutting it out to fit if it was smaller than the paper. For the big piece I had to tape pieces together. Next, I flipped the frames over(you can hold the paper in place as you do this also), laid the sheet of paper on it, and poked a hole in the paper where the nail needed to go.

The next part was the trickiest, because I had to figure out where they actually needed to go on the wall. I wanted the collage centered between the curtains. To be honest with you, I didn't even use measurements to determine where to put them. I just eye-balled it and started with the big piece, making sure it was pretty close to eye-level, then I taped the other sheets on the wall, according to how they were placed on the floor earlier. Since I'm not perfect (I know, I was shocked too. ha!) I did have to adjust it to the left a little bit but that just required minimal work. I didn't really measure anything, just placed and stepped back to see how it looked. I would normally be more precise but I used the sheets to my advantage on this one. I DID make sure the two frames on the right were level with the big piece on the left, and just centered the others on those. It was really easy and didn't require a lot of adjusting.











After everything was lined up correctly and it all looked centered, I just hammered nails in the wall where I had poked holes in the paper, then tore the paper off the wall and hung the pictures. I used a few big Command strips for the big piece, because it doesn't have a place to be hung. Luckily, it's very light.


Voila!












I got all of the wall art online. I wanted to add a little color to the room so I used a couple different shades of blue. I don't have links to the sites I got them from, but if you just search for this stuff on Pinterest, you'll be able to find it. I love the middle picture. It's a picture from our wedding made of lines from The Notebook. You can make your own here. You upload a picture, type in your favorite song lyrics, verse, quotes, or your wedding vows and it forms the picture using those words. You can personalize the color if you want, and adjust the contrast of the picture too. I liked the black and white look. The big piece came from TJ Maxx for about $16. I love it.

I really like the fact that I can change out the art as I desire. I also like that it's not perfectly symmetric. (obviously I need to straighten the top right picture in the frame, it's a little slanted, huh?)That's the beauty of a collage, it's fun and doesn't have to be perfectly even and symmetric to look good.

Now, my plan is still to make this wall a sitting area, with a chair to match the chevron ottoman, a little round table for a book or two, and a floor lamp. I'm not in a hurry to get that finished, because the playroom is my top priority right now. I've still got some things to do in there and I'll worry about finishing our room when it's done.

Happy Tuesday!!


1 comments:

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!