Monday, March 25, 2013

Chicken 'n Dressing


Didn't y'all know? It's Thanksgiving!! At least, it was at our house tonight. Who says chicken & dressin' can only be served in November? I say that's ludicrous! I'll have it when and where I want it. And this gal wanted it for dinner tonight. Boom.
Chicken & dressing used to be this daunting dish that really intimidated me and I was terrified to make it. Honestly, it's really one of the easiest things to throw together. 

And in no time, you can enjoy a nice plate of Thanksgiving of your own....in March...on Cinco de Mayo....the middle of July....whenever it strikes your little fancy!
Before you panic, you should know that there was definitely cranberry sauce served alongside. I'd rather do without dressing altogether than eat it without "the sauce!" It's of vital importance, y'all.
Moving on. I could talk about my love for jellied cranberry sauce all day, but I'll spare you.
You're welcome.

Chicken & Dressing
serves 4-6

small pan cornbread, cooled and crumbled (I used appr a 6" pan. perfect for a small pan of this stuff) double recipe if you use a big pan)
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and diced
1-2 stalks celery, diced into small pieces
appr 2 cups chicken broth (I used broth from the boiled chicken. You can also you boxed broth.)
1/2 can(yes, just 1/2 can) cream of chicken soup
appr 1 tbsp rubbed sage (sage makes the dressing, in my opinion. but too much kills it! best bet: add a little, taste before you add more. taste taste taste!!!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder (use real onions if you like)
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Add a little more broth if it's not moist enough. You want the dressing to be very moist, because it will dry out a little as it's baking. Spread out in a greased pan (8x8 or 9x9 will work great) and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Mine was heavy on the chicken, but you can add less and make it more about the dressing if you'd like. You can also add boiled chopped egg, onions(y'all know my hubby hates 'em), and make a gravy to accompany. I didn't feel like putting in quite that much effort tonight. :)

Serve with Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes, some green beans, and the ever important cranberry sauce, and you've got a quick & easy Turkey-chicken day, Monday, Thursday, feeling fat day, or any other day meal!!


I could hardly keep Joseph's face outta the pan of this stuff, y'all!! This was a huge hit, and I've satisfied my craving for some dressin' for a while. :)

Y'all have a great Tuesday!!

1 comments:

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I enjoy reading every single one of them!!